Main menu

Pages

How the iPhone 13 Pro Max helped kill my low battery anxiety

Low battery anxiety is real. The fear of running out of battery while driving home has bothered me for as long as I can remember using flagship smartphones. Just two months ago I bought the most expensive slab phone that helped end my battery anxiety.

Even almost a year after its release, the iPhone 13 Pro Max is still the battery champ in 2022. No current-year flagship smartphone comes close to last year’s high-end iPhone in terms of battery life. And with the way I use my phones, it’s been a game changer.

The iPhone 13 Pro Max is still the battery king in 2022

Galaxy Z Fold 3 and other flagships in the background.

The basic purpose of the mobile phone is to enable people in two different locations to communicate instantly, thereby eliminating human anxiety related to loneliness. But if a phone breaks down, it can be an additional traumatic experience because these gadgets have created a communication addiction, according to a study from Eskişehir Osmangazi University in Turkey.

If you’re like me, you’ve probably dumped various parts of your life onto your smartphone. From my driver’s license, meeting notes, taxi sharing apps and food apps, family photos and banking apps – my smartphone has it all. And since the digital revolution, even access to my money is on my phone. If the battery dies or I get a low battery warning while I’m socializing, my next step would be to get home as soon as possible. After all, I can’t afford to be stranded without a taxi or payment service, two of the most essential tools to get me home.

Since smartphones have become more than just communication devices, it’s important to us that they work all the time. But modern cell phones have yet to solve the low battery anxiety problem. I used most of the Android 2022 flagship smartphones including Galaxy S22 Ultra, OnePlus 10 Pro, RedMagic 7 Pro, Black Shark 5 Pro, Xiaomi 12 Pro, etc. And all of them had an underlying problem. If I choose to use GPS navigation for an hour while doing all the other things mentioned above, the battery drains like a pizza sitting in front of Joey Tribbiani.

iPhone 13 Pro Max back in hand.
Ajay Kumar/Digital Trends

This is where the iPhone 13 Pro Max comes in and shines. You can do it all – play games, navigate the city for an hour, FaceTime your friends, doomscroll social media, and more. And yet, you’ll still have about 30% battery left when you get home. I had days where I got around six hours of screen time with 40% battery left. I can’t imagine using one of the best Android phones of the year at this point and coming close to this mark anyway.

I mostly work from home, but there are times when I choose to work at my favorite cafes in Delhi. I carry a charging brick with me for my MacBook, but with the iPhone 13 Pro Max, I can miss packing my power bank and still have no issues. The other day I ended up going to a gig at 1am at a bar after a long day at work. I had my phone for payments, booking taxis and showing concert tickets at the entrance. I walked into the bar with 40% battery, and by the time I got home I still had 20% battery left. The iPhone 13 Pro Max really put an end to my low battery anxiety.

Where there is room for improvement

Nothing is perfect. Despite all the bells and whistles about battery life, the iPhone 13 Pro Max charges slowly. With Android makers offering up to 150W of fast charging and “all-day battery life on a 15-minute charge,” the most expensive iPhone lags behind.

If I forget to plug in the iPhone 13 Pro Max at night, I know I don’t have the ability to fast charge and get up to 50% battery in about 15 minutes, which is kind of unfair by 2022 standards. i really let’s hope the iPhone 14 Pro Max 2022 has some sort of fast charging. If Apple can match this excellent endurance with equally excellent charging, it will allow the battery champion to take an unwavering lead in the battery department.

Person holding iPhone 13 Pro Max Sierra Blue.
David Svihovec/Unsplash

We’re halfway through 2022 and last year’s iPhone 13 Pro Max is still the battery champion. With all of Android’s performance-focused flagships, battery life becomes an afterthought. I hope companies pay more attention to their battery offerings and optimize their flagship smartphones to easily last an entire day. Otherwise, the iPhone 13 Pro Max has no competition.

Editors’ Recommendations