Main menu

Pages

Like Apple AirPods Pro but not as good

Sofia Pitt wearing Google’s Pixel Buds Pro

Sophie Pitt | CNBC

what is good

The Pixel Buds Pro are Google’s first headphones with noise-canceling technology, just like Apple’s AirPods Pro. The audio quality is really good and almost on par with Apple’s AirPods Pro. When I alternated between my AirPods Pro and Pixel Buds Pro while listening to the first minute of Billie Eilish’s “Ocean Eyes,” the bass sounded a bit too strong on the Google Buds, with the slightest hint of feedback.

The Pixel Buds Pro have an audio switching feature, which makes it easy to switch between devices like my phone, computer, and tablet. Aside from the initial setup, I didn’t have to worry about pairing the headphones to each device more than once, which was handy.

Noise cancellation is almost as good as on the AirPods Pro. It helped block out the noise. I couldn’t hear my editor when he asked me a question while I was listening to music. I haven’t tested it on an airplane, but this feature is generally useful to help get rid of the hum of the engines while you’re flying. This is why noise canceling headphones are popular among frequent travelers. Google said it’s created sensors that constantly measure the pressure in your ear canal so the headphones are more comfortable and users don’t feel like their ears are clogged. That works.

The carrying case uses USB-C charging, which is the same used by most modern Android phones, meaning you only need to carry one cord with you. The case also supports wireless charging, just like the AirPods Pro case, and that means you can just drop it on a wireless puck to charge it up.

I was able to wear the Pixel Buds Pro for hours without feeling any slight pain in my ear, which sometimes happens when wearing my AirPods Pro. That means these might be more comfortable for long plane rides.

They offer longer battery life than AirPods Pro with seven hours of listening time on a single charge when noise canceling technology is turned on. When the Buds Pro noise canceling technology is not activated, they last up to 11 hours. Apple Airpods Pro last 4.5 hours on a single charge. This is a big deal for a lot of people, and as an AirPods user, I’ve noticed the difference.

Pixel Buds Pro allow you to easily converse with someone who speaks another language, thanks to a link with Google Translate. I tested the real-time conversation mode with my Brazilian mother-in-law whose first language is Portuguese.

To start, I opened the Google Translate app on my Pixel 6a and tapped on “Conversation”. After a few minutes, we were able to continue a conversation with an almost perfect translation. I asked, “Would your family in Brazil use this translation feature?” To which my mother-in-law replied in Portuguese: “Yes. Is it affordable? How much does it cost?” The phone translated the conversation for me and I heard his response in English through the Pixel Buds Pro.

I probably wouldn’t use the feature to ask someone for directions unless I was really desperate as it was a bit awkward and time consuming. But it would be useful if I was shopping overseas and needed to ask a question about what I was buying.

The Pixel Buds Pro are available in four colors: black, coral, gray and light green. I like that the ear tips are black instead of white. I know I’m not the only person to be disgusted after seeing the earwax buildup on the white earbuds.

what’s wrong

Pixel Buds Pro are hypersensitive to touch. The outer surface of the buds reacts if you touch it to pause a song, for example. It’s handy if you just want to skip a music track while you’re walking. But I was listening to a podcast with my head on a pillow and the slightest movement of my head caused the podcast to stop. I often fall asleep with my AirPods Pro in my ears and they never quit like that.

I asked Google if a software update might fix this, but a spokesperson wasn’t immediately available for comment.

Finding a lost set of Pixel Buds Pro isn’t as easy as it is AirPods. Google headphones must be connected to an Android phone. But, with AirPods, the Find My app will show you the last known location, even if they’re no longer connected to your iPhone.

And the microphones weren’t that good either. My husband said “it sounds like you’re on speakerphone” when I gave him a test call. He said he could hear me pretty well but I sounded a bit distant.

We also tried FaceTiming and video chat on WhatsApp. I frequently fitted the Pixel Buds Pro in my ears because the fit wasn’t as natural as when I used my AirPods Pro. When I fidgeted, he could hear nasty comments.

Three different rubber tips come with the Pixel Buds Pro, meaning there should be enough sizes to fit most people. But none of them suit me as well.

Should I buy them?

AirPods Pro work with both Android device and iOS device, so I prefer Airpods Pro. But, if you want to save some cash, the Pixel Buds Pro are the next best thing. Battery life is excellent, and the seamless transition when switching between devices makes the Buds Pro easy to use. The quality is almost as clear as the Airpods Pro, but the clunkier design makes them a bit awkward.