Internet commentators have rallied around a woman who refuses to follow her work schedule, despite the insistence of her newly appointed supervisor.
Posting to the popular Reddit forum r/antiwork, Redditor u/decayingdreamless (otherwise known as the original poster, or OP) said that she had worked the same shift schedule for six months without conflict, until an unknown authority arrives and throws a key there.
Captioned “When I was hired I told my boss there was a day I couldn’t work. It was never a problem until we got a new boss,” the post received nearly 23,000 upvotes and 1,000 comments in the last day.
Explaining that there is only one day a week when she can see her family without scheduling conflicts, the original poster said she strictly adheres to her regular working hours and cherishes her weekly day off. .
“I planned my life around this schedule [and] had plans for that day this week,” OP wrote. “[But] when I checked my schedule, the new boss had changed everything.”
“I explained to him that when I was hired I said I needed that day off and that had never been a problem before,” OP continued. “He told me that I needed to be more flexible and that my schedule would change…according to his needs.”
Adding that she earns minimum wage with no benefits and no longer has the ability to plan her time outside of work, the original poster said that after some thought, she has decided to stick with the hours she has worked in the last semester.
“I’m not [canceling] my plans,” OP wrote. “I told him I couldn’t work that day, but he expects me to show up.
“I’m just not going to call that day and laugh,” OP assured. “Good luck figuring out who will cover the nights I hold this spot alone.”
Sudden schedule changes are inconvenient, difficult to accept and perfectly legal.
“Unless an employment contract or collective agreement provides otherwise, an employer may change an employee’s duties, hours, or location without the employee’s consent,” reports the Society. for Human Resource Management.
Although Oregon and a handful of major US cities, including New York, San Francisco and Seattle, have passed predictive scheduling laws requiring employers to notify employees of schedule changes two weeks in advance, the same cannot be said for other parts of the country.
According to HR Dive, several states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa and Tennessee, have passed laws preventing local governments from implementing predictive scheduling regulations.
However, whether or not notice of an impending schedule change is necessary can quickly become moot if employees are unwilling to comply with reckless management practices.
In her viral post on Reddit, the original poster expressed her disappointment at the decision to change her work schedule and made it clear that she was not paid enough to accommodate her newfound poor communication style. boss.

fizkes/iStock/Getty Images Plus
Throughout the post’s comments section, Redditors praised the bravery of the original poster and slammed his new supervisor for asking employees to change schedules whenever he deemed it necessary.
“This is a shitty power play by shitty bosses,” Redditor u/Whole_Mechanic_8143 wrote in the lead comment of the post, which received nearly 10,000 upvotes. “Hold on tight and start looking for a new job.
“He shows you he’s a little stumbling block of power [a**hole]“, they added.
“He doesn’t care,” added Redditor u/MangaJosh, receiving over 1,600 upvotes. “All he cares about is the trigger power he can do.”
Redditor u/CapnKrieg, whose comment received more than 1,500 upvotes, echoed that sentiment.
“Well done,” they congratulated. “Minimum wage jobs are waiting for your soul and [to] be [grateful] you have the job, we have to stop giving it to them.”
“It’s true,” added Redditor u/missoularedhead. “The jobs that pay the lowest are the jobs that are micromanaged.”
In a separate comment, which received nearly 2,000 upvotes, Redditor u/Keslen offered an opposing perspective on the original poster’s dating.
“You are not without appeal, without presentation” they assured. “You told him you weren’t available.
“If he can’t find cover, that’s his problem – not yours,” they added.
Newsweek contacted u/decayingdreamless for comment.