Instagram is backtracking on recent changes to its social networking service, including an increased focus on videos, like Reels, and recommended posts, after a pushback from users and popular celebrities.
Kylie Jenner and Kim Kardashian have shared a post with hundreds of millions of their followers calling for Instagram to stop “trying to be TikTok”. The sisters and mega influencers have a combined Instagram following of 686 million users.
Instagram user Karen Dekker, who also uses Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, said she’s been on Instagram less due to recent changes.
“I manage my company’s social accounts in addition to my own personal account, and I’ve noticed the change more on my personal account,” she said. “I don’t hate Reels, but if I wanted the experience of watching everything in video format, I would sign up for TikTok.”
Dekker was among several Instagram users who responded to a Denver Post request to comment on the changes.
Jules Marie, social media marketing specialist at Westcliffe, said his clients were grappling with the changes.
“Reach, impressions, views, engagement — all metrics went down,” she said.
Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri said on Twitter that his app has heard the concerns, isn’t against the readjustment, and won’t drop some of the features, including the use of photos. , which appealed to core and dedicated users.
👋🏼 There’s a lot going on on Instagram right now.
I wanted to touch on a few things we’re working on to make Instagram a better experience.
Don’t hesitate to tell me what you think 👇🏼 pic.twitter.com/x1If5qrCyS
— Adam Mosseri (@mosseri) July 26, 2022
“There’s a lot going on on Instagram right now. We’re experimenting with a number of different changes to the app, so we’re hearing a lot of concerns from all of you,” Mosseri said.
He described some of the changes, including a full-screen stream, as a test.
While Instagram will remain attached to photos, video is the future, Mosseri said. “Instagram will become video over time.”
Recommendations on Instagram should allow users to discover new and interesting things they might not even know existed, Mosseri said.
“Now if you see things on your feed that are recommendations that you’re not interested in, that means we’re ranking poorly and need to improve.”
Recommendations help “small creators” grow and reach a larger audience, he said.
Instagram will evolve, Mosseri said, and he invited users to share their thoughts and concerns in the comments.
Nora Lydon told the Post that she’s been spending more time on Facebook and less time on Instagram because of the changes.
“I don’t see messages from my real life friends at all in my newsfeed anymore. It used to be rare but now it’s slim to none. All I see are reels, videos and memes . Mostly by people I’m not even following. All I want to see is what my real friends are doing,” Lydon said. “I want to see what my [girlfriends] did last weekend.